The AMA chapters participate in case competitions where they create detailed marketing campaigns for the selected company or organization. As a member if a company asked me or the UWM AMA to help create a marketing campaign, slogan, plan, etc. I would have been happy to do so. All a company would have had to do was ask or make a proposal, for about a tenth of what it would have cost the company to do it the AMA could have. I realized this and instead of waiting for a company to make a proposal I wrote one to Joe Sorge of the now famous AJ Bombers.
Part of the proposal: "An American Marketing Association fundraiser at AJ Bombers will increase the level of awareness University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee students have of AJ Bombers, while providing additional funding for the UWM Chapter of AMA. This will be done by promoting the menu and specials of AJ Bombers on campus by the use of strategically placed posters and flyers, and by word of mouth. The fundraiser will consist of promoting a new Burger of the Month, for the month of November 2009, called “The AMAzing Burger,” where one dollar of each burger sold will go to the UWM AMA."
While the fundraiser did not yield the projected results, it did increase the awareness of AJ Bombers on campus and gave me and other AMA members valuable experience in creating a marketing campaign. Most importantly it provided additional funds for the AMA so the organization could continue to provide their members. So on behalf of myself and the UWM AMA I would like to thank Joe Sorge and AJ Bombers again for taking the chance with us.
So that was my personal experience with the underutilized college organizations.
Why you should consider using a college organization?
- The number of college organizations and ability to find one just right for what you need.
- The ease of finding that college organization and making contact with the president, a simple search on the campus website for organizations should provide you with a list that you could use. Or a Google search if you know what organization you would like to use.
- It provides valuable experience to the college students in the organization.
- Costs less than using an agency or going in house (or it should)
- The money goes to the organization and is used for its members benefit.
I am not saying that using a college organization is perfect for every situation but it should be considered.
Do you or your company have any personal experience? Do you know any college organizations that would fit with what you intend to do? Have you considered using a college organization? Any other reasons why you would or should consider using a college organization?